Regardless of whether you’re a professional or amateur player, you may be well aware of the pitfalls of playing basketball. There’s hardly any player who can claim that he or she has never suffered an ankle injury or ligament tear. More often than not, the injuries result from not wearing the appropriate basketball shoes that offer solid ankle support.
Hence opting for a pair of best basketball shoes for ankle support could go a long way in mitigating risks of ankle fracture or injury.
- 1 Buyers Guide To Purchase the Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
- 1.1 Common Injuries Resulting from Not Wearing Basketball Shoes that Offer Ankle Support
- 1.2 Aspects to Consider before Choosing the Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
- 2 Reviewing the Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support 2020
- 2.1 1. Under Armour Men’s UA ClutchFit Drive 3 Basketball Shoes – Best High Top Shoes
- 2.2 2. adidas Performance Men’s Crazy Explosive Basketball Shoe – Most receptive
- 2.3 3. Nike Men’s Air Command Force Retro Basketball Shoes – Best Full-Length Shoes
- 2.4 Pros:
- 2.5 Cons:
- 2.6 4. Nike Hyperdunk 2016 Black – The Most Comfortable Basketball Shoes
- 2.7 Pros:
- 2.8 Cons:
- 2.9 5. Under Armor Men’s Lockdown Basketball Shoe – Best Construction
- 2.10 Pros:
- 2.11 Cons:
- 2.12 6. PUMA Men’s Sky II Hi FG Fashion Sneakers – The Chicest Shoes
- 2.13 Pros:
- 2.14 Cons:
- 2.15 7. Reebok Men’s ROYAL BB4500H XW Fashion Sneaker – Furnishes the Best Protection
- 2.16 Pros:
- 2.17 Cons:
- 2.18 8. Nike Mens Lebron Soldier 10 – Most Eye-Catching Shoes
- 2.19 Pros:
- 2.20 Cons:
- 2.21 9. Under Armor Men’s Drive 4 Premium Basketball Shoe – Most Breathable Shoes
- 2.22 Pros:
- 2.23 Cons:
- 3 Conclusion
Buyers Guide To Purchase the Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
Basketball as a sport entails high levels of physical activity where the players have to jump and move around swiftly. So, you should choose a basketball shoe pair which greatly minimizes the chances of ankle injuries. You’re extremely vulnerable to spraining your ankle or tearing ligaments if you’re not wearing the best basketball shoes for ankle support.
Nevertheless, before you start looking for basketball shoes for ankle support, you’d like to know the sort of injuries you may suffer if you’re not using the right footwear. At the same time, you’d be interested to know how quality basketball shoes could help prevent ankle fractures, sprains, and ligament tears.
We first discuss the common injuries players suffer and after that enumerate the factors to keep in mind while choosing the best options.
Common Injuries Resulting from Not Wearing Basketball Shoes that Offer Ankle Support
Protecting the ankles becomes vital as this is one part of your leg that undergoes heavy stress during the game. It’s important for you to realize why you’ve to avoid injuring the ankles since you’d want to play continually. You may be susceptible to the following injuries whenever you step on the court for a basketball match.
You’ll need to dunk and frolic a lot for excelling in the game. Often you could land awkwardly while dunking or jumping, which in turn leads to ankle sprains and injuries. It is your feet and ankle that bears the maximum brunt when you land after a jump or dunk.
Stress fractures compel players to stay off the court for weeks or months on end. A stress fracture tends to be a very common ankle injury, causing small or hairline fractures, but they nevertheless warrant treatment. Ignoring the injury and not opting for timely treatment could lead to worsening conditions.
The most practical way to prevent the incidence or recurrence of ankle fractures is to buy high quality shoe pair with robust soles and padding support.
2. Ankle Sprains and Injuries
You’re most likely to sprain or twist your ankles when you’re coming down after a dunk. When you’re running in different directions, trying to evade opposition players as you surge ahead, you could misstep. Sudden and jerky movements could also cause sprains, especially if you’ve put on shoes that offer hardly any ankle support.
A twisted ankle means the tough tissue bands or ligaments which keep the ankle bones in place, suffer tear or stress. Your ankle becomes inflamed due to which you could experience difficulty in walking.
Aspects to Consider before Choosing the Best Basketball Shoes for Ankle Support
You’ll have to move about, scamper, dunk and jump extensively for playing basketball actively. So, it’s understandable that your entire foot, including the arch and ankle, will have to put up with the excessive strain. So, you opt for a shoe pair featuring thick padding that’ll cushion you from impacts resulting from landings and quick movements.
Make sure the shoe has padding both at the forefoot and the heel. At the same time, see to it that the cushioning does not restrict easy and quick movements. A shoe with the right level of padding can help keep ligament tears and stress fractures at bay.
These basketball shoes offers all-around safety and security to your ankles, heel, and sole. Look for high-top or mid-top basketball shoes that’ll extend a bit over and around your ankle region. Generally, high-top shoes provide better ankle support than mid-top models but do thorough research before taking a decision.
You or rather your feet should look stylish and elegant in the shoes you put on, regardless of the brand. However, style is not an indispensable factor when it comes to choosing your best basketball shoes for ankle support. You’ll come across some well-known basketball shoe brands like Nike and Adidas, available in a range of designs, colors, and sizes.
The premium quality of basketball shoes could easily set you back by at least a couple of hundred dollars. So, you’d want your basketball shoes to stay in service as long as possible. The shoe pair you select should be able to resist normal wear and tear and rough handling.
Go for shoes that come with an upper made from pure leather or a combination of meshed and fabric materials. See to it that the insole, midsole, and outsole are of toughened rubber. Make sure that the shoes are made of materials that enable your feet to breathe and are durable as well.
5. Lacing system
The lacing system makes a big difference to how snugly you can position your feet inside the shoe pair. So, it is very important for you to understand the different lacing styles to determine which system would be most suitable for you. Opting for a shoe with resilient laces would enable you to tighten or loosen the footwear as per your convenience.
Reviewing the Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support 2020
1. Under Armour Men’s UA ClutchFit Drive 3 Basketball Shoes – Best High Top Shoes
Offer the best possible support to your feet and ankles with the Under Armour UA ClutchFit Drive 3 Basketball Shoes. The inner shank and the exterior heel counter offer extra support and stability. The uppers, crafted out of a blend of meshed and textile materials together with inbuilt bear-trap lacing mechanism furnish a secure fit.
The luxurious collars and tongue keep the top of the flat of your foot completely stress free. Achilles pillow, on the other hand, provides added cushioning and comfort to the heel and the surrounding areas. The ventilated fabric lining maintain good air circulation inside the shoe.
The natural profile of the OrthoLite and antibacterial die-cut sock liner keeps your feet in place. Full-scale Micro G foamed layer facilitates cushioned landings and excellent takeoffs. Extra padding beneath the heel acts as an effective shock absorber, thereby enabling you to deliver commendable performance.
The thick rubber outsole featuring diamond-shaped and herringbone rut pattern offer solid traction. The UA ClutchFit Drive 3 ranks amongst the best high-top basketball shoe brands, highly effective in checking ankle injuries. The ergonomic design of the shoe pair means they furnish robust ankle support without sacrificing mobility.
- The shoe pair weighs only 1lb making them very lightweight and comfortable to move around with
- Patented bear-trap lacing system accords a customized locked-in fit
- Inner shank and outer heel counter furnishes good support and stability
- Textile and meshed upper add to comfortableness
- Luxuriant collars and tongue
- Extra cushioning over the heel area and Micro G foam layer keeps feet well padded
- Rubberized outsole with diamond-shaped and herringbone rut patterns offers robust traction
- Does not provide very good traction indoors
- Not quite suitable for speedy movements
- You’d need to choose one size larger than what you usually use for a comfortable fit
2. adidas Performance Men’s Crazy Explosive Basketball Shoe – Most receptive
The Adidas Performance Men’s Crazy basketball shoe shaped out of synthetic and textile materials happen to be sturdy and breathable. The shoe pair comes with an elevated shaft, thereby providing you comprehensive support to the ankles. The full-length padding facilitates comfortableness while you’re making the best moves in the game.
The exclusive lacing system of the Adidas Crazy Explosive enables relieving of pressure and makes for a more fit. The upper, midsole, insole, and outsole are chipped out of 100% synthetic materials and textiles, making the shoes extremely durable. The rubber outsole has circular contours of grooves and ruts that transfer firm toehold while you prance around the court. These Adidas basketball shoes make the most of the signature energy-returning boost™, offering you good fillip for jump shots. The upgraded and receptive lacing mechanism lets you adjust the tightness or looseness of the shoes according to your convenience. The layer of TPU over midsole provides good support to your heels and ankles, making your dunks consistent, drives speedier, and crossovers razor-sharp.
- The raised shaft makes it a performance-oriented high-top shoe
- The combination of meshed material and fabrics make the shoe pair breathable as well as durable
- Rubberized outsole furnishes effective traction on different playing surfaces
- The refurbished lacing system allows you to wear the shoe comfortably
- The shoes tend to be remarkably lightweight, thereby promoting quick movements
- Colored TPU covering over midsole holds everything together
- You’ll have to choose an appropriate size very carefully
- Cushioning could have been better
3. Nike Men’s Air Command Force Retro Basketball Shoes – Best Full-Length Shoes
The Nike Air Command Force basketball sneakers exude an old-fashioned appearance and have features which will let you take center stage on the court. The full-length of the Men’s Air Command Force Retro Basketball Shoes from Nike is the shoe pair’s USP. The soft padding embedded inside the shoe safeguards the underside of your foot from harsh impacts and falls.
At the same time, the cushioning of the shoe keeps it lightweight and comfortable. On inspecting the shoes carefully, you’ll observe that these come with a raised shank, thereby rendering the shoes taller than most other sneakers. The elevated shaft enables you to make rapid cuts, sharp shoot downs, and targeted dunks without compromising ankle support. This basketball shoe pair by Nike comes in perfectly handy for those players hampered by flat feet as they’ll be able to play normally without feeling discomfited. The prominent sections of the shoe pair are shaped out of leather, lending commendable durability to the same.
- The most performance-oriented full-length shoe pair
- Raised shank furnishes steady ankle and heel support
- Arched toe bed adds to stability and momentum
- The pull-up laces facilitate tightening or loosening of the shoes in a way the wearer finds a snug
- Absence of arch is more than compensated by an impact protection
- The different rut designs on the base of the outsole promote footing
- Many users reported that the interior stitching caused them discomfort and irritation
- The elevation of the shank could be a tad too high for many players
4. Nike Hyperdunk 2016 Black – The Most Comfortable Basketball Shoes
The Nike Men’s Hyperdunk 2016 Black truly lives up to its name-they enable basketball players to complete inimitable dunks. No wonder, Nike chose to name this basketball shoe pair ‘Hyperdunk.’ The full-fledged padding around the forefoot and heel region offers players thorough protection from shocks and impacts, and also keeps their feet comfortable.
The high-top structure accords players full ankle support, but this design, however, does not come in the way of providing momentum. The meshed fabric throughout the upper, starting from the forefoot and extending up to the heel region facilitates good air circulation. The patented and signature Hyperfuse construction not only makes the shoes hardwearing but breathable and portable as well. The thick cushioning, especially around the ankle and arch region, keeps feet snug and stress-free. The concentric furrows and grooves on the outsole base with the Nike logo imprint transfer solid toehold to the players. You can choose a Nike Men’s Hyperdunk 2016 Black shoe pair in a range of colors, including yellow, red, and blue.
- Meshed and fabric construction: imparts durability to the shoes and keeps them breathable
- Excellent padding support: protects feet from deep impacts which could lead to ligament tears and ankle sprains
- Cushioning also accords snugness while the player is moving around the court speedily
- The player can easily carry around the shoes on his feet as they’re very lightweight
- The player experiences pain initially as the shoe pair could take some time adjusting to
- The slim fit design of the shoes means players with broad feet could find them a tad uncomfortable
5. Under Armor Men’s Lockdown Basketball Shoe – Best Construction
Under Armor’s basketball shoes are highly sought after and for good reasons. Take, for instance, the Men’s Lockdown Basketball Shoe; the shoe pair sports a combination of synthetic materials and leather superimpositions that offers excellent lateral and medial support. Extra layers of foam around the collar boost overall support and comfort, enabling the player to be in his elements.
The sockliner constructed from high quality EVA allows the user to rest his foot at ease inside the shoe bed. The midsole, also of EVA deliver smooth, comfortable, and lightweight movements, enabling the player to excel in the game. The outsole has been chipped out from a single piece of resilient rubber which lets the player move around swiftly. The outsole features herringbone runnels and channels that promote linear and lateral footing without hindering momentum. The materials used for fabricating this Under Armor shoe pair keep the shoe extremely light.
- Durable and lightweight construction: A functional overlay of leather and synthetic materials
- Full-length cushioning, especially around the collar region, keeping ankle buttressed against impact from falls
- Multiple microscopic vents on the tongue and collar help in circulation of air
- The rubber sole with ruts and furrows throughout the outsole enables the player to remain steady throughout the game
- Eva sockliner and midsole for extra comfort during dunks cut-through, and lifts
- You may need to order a size bigger than your usual size for a more customized and comfortable fit
- Some players may have an issue with breaking in which in turn could cause pain
6. PUMA Men’s Sky II Hi FG Fashion Sneakers – The Chicest Shoes
The PUMA Men’s Sky II Hi FG Fashion Sneakers do not cost a ton but performs above par all the same. The shoe pair has been shaped out of full grain leather so you know they’ll be good for using for many years. The rubber outsole enables the player to maintain his composure while he makes forays in the opposition camp.
Linear holes on the forefoot, collars, and tongue go a long way in keeping the interiors fully ventilated. Dual hook-and-look strips on the foot arch region and lateral form strips help keep the shoe firmly in place. Lace-up closure allows the player to adjust the tension to a level that he finds comfortable. The shoes feature a high-top layout, distinguishable at the arch, which helps keep ankle sprains and ligament tears at bay. The patterned furrows and ruts contribute towards furnishing comprehensive toehold.
- Shoe upper constructed from pure full grain leather which guarantees an extended shelf life to the product
- Dual hook-and-loop straps facilitate adjustment of tautness around the ankle, thereby providing additional support
- Lace-up locking system for adjusting fit as per one’s comfort level
- High-top design ensures ankle protection
- Furrows and channels on the outsole help in according grip during swift movements
- Cushioning is minimal which works as an impediment when it comes to offering good ankle support
- The narrowness at the forefoot region could pose a problem for players with broadened feet
7. Reebok Men’s ROYAL BB4500H XW Fashion Sneaker – Furnishes the Best Protection
You can rest assured that the Reebok’s Men’s Royal Fashion Sneaker will serve you well for years, thanks to the mesh and leather upper. Also, the perfect blend of synthetic and meshed materials and leather keep the shoes well-ventilated. The unique design, together with the materials, ensures that your feet stay cozy for extended periods.
The Royal BB4500H XW Fashion Sneaker comes with a detachable Ortholite sockliner which you remove or keep as per your convenience. The abrasion-resistant outsole made from top quality rubber provides you with the steadiness you require for shifting from one foot to another. Unlike most other brands of basket ball shoes, the Royal Fashion Sneaker features a mid-top design which nevertheless tenders strong ankle support without compromising flexibility.
The meshed overlay on the upper keeps your feet airy and snug, so you can put on this pair of shoes all through the year. The sleek and fine ruts on the base of the outsole with the Reebok logo engraved on end supports exceptional footing.
- Hardy construction is borne out by the use of meshed, synthetic and leather components
- The mid-cut layout offers all-round ankle stability and support without forgoing flexibility
- Rubber outsole with decorative grooves and furrows accords high-level traction
- The upper materials keep the shoe pair fresh and airy at all times of the year
- Removable Ortho lite sock liner
- No arch support means the wearer’s feet become sore
- The shoes tend to be somewhat bulky which could restrict easy movement
- The narrow layout means some players with wide feet may feel uncomfortable wearing them
8. Nike Mens Lebron Soldier 10 – Most Eye-Catching Shoes
If you’re looking for a sturdy pair of high-top basketball shoes, go for Nike Men’s Lebron Solider 10. Classed as high-top shoes, the Lebron Soldier 10 proffers exceptional ankle support. The uppers are of high quality mesh material and textile, which impart to the shoes a high degree of sturdiness.
On the other hand, the upper materials keep your feet ventilated for the entire period of the game. Straps on the forefoot, tongue, and arch region come in perfectly handy when you need to adjust the shoe’s firmness. Full-fledged cushioning around the forefoot and the heel makes sure you feel relaxed while playing a basketball match.
The rubberized midsole and outsole go the whole hog in providing you full traction while you dunk, lift or dart. The engraved grooves on the outsole transfer extra footing. The combination of white, black, and red accents make the shoe pair incredibly eye-catching and adds to its aesthetic appeal
- The use of premium materials make the shoes hardy and well-ventilated
- Straps on different sections allow you to modify the tension on your feet
- High-top shoes which ensure all-round ankle support and protection
- Outsole with carved ruts facilitate superior footing
- Many players could find the shoe pair a tad too bulky
- You may have to select one size larger than your normal fit size
9. Under Armor Men’s Drive 4 Premium Basketball Shoe – Most Breathable Shoes
The Under Armor Men’s Drive 4 Premium Basketball Shoe seamlessly blends style and functionality. The upper comprises of suede and topnotch leather imparting to the UA Men’s Drive 4 Premium an unparalleled level of durability. Full-length boot-styled structure characterized by shaped collar accords good level of support and makes for a snug fit.
The exterior heel counter furnishes extra ankle support by keeping the backside of your foot locked-in. You’ll be able to wiggle your big toe, thanks to the toe wrap. The reinforced lace loops enable you to place your feet inside the shoes as well as take them out comfortably. Precision-cut EVA sock liner accords support and padding to the underside of your foot. Compression molded midsole promotes comprehensive containment lateral installation of the foot. 3D shaft overlay around heel furnishes extra lateral steadiness and torque flexibility. Herringbone groove patterns offer the player or wearer solid toehold.
- Manufactured from 100% textile and leather: extended shelf life
- Rubber midsole and outsole: Helps the player maintain balance and poise
- Toe wrap boosts up forefoot flexibility
- Exterior heel counter proffers extra stability
- Very lightweight and comfortable to wear
- Makes the most of exclusive micro thread technology for faster drying when wet
- Could feel tight initially after breaking in
- You’ll need to purchase a half-size larger for ensuring a comfy fit
In our review of the nine best basketball shoes for ankle support, we selected Nike and Under Armor (three of each), one Puma, one Adidas, and one Reebok model. Selecting the best of the best basketball shoe pair out of these nine will indeed be an uphill task. To make the task of selection a bit easier for you, we’ve specified every model as ‘the best high-top shoe,’ ‘the most comfortable shoe’ and so on. So, go ahead, take your time in going through the review, and choose a pair that best meets your needs and preferences.