The broadhead is the one and only piece of your bowhunting gear that will make contact with the game or quarry. So, it is perfectly pertinent to mention here that you should never compromise when it comes to buying the best crossbow broadheads. Selecting the best options for your crossbow becomes easier when you review each against a set of specific factors like weight, speed, and legality of use, and so on.
- 1 What to Consider Before Choosing Best Crossbow Broadheads?
- 2 6 Best Crossbow Broadhead Reviews 2020
- 2.1 1. Excalibur Boltcutter 150gr SS 3Blade (Per 6)
- 2.2 Pros
- 2.3 Cons
- 2.4 2. Rage Bowhunting CrossbowX Mechanical Broadhead
- 2.5 Pros
- 2.6 Cons
- 2.7 3. Swhacker Set of 3-100 Grain 2 Inch Cut Broadheads
- 2.8 Pros
- 2.9 Cons
- 2.10 4. Muzzy 209-MX4, Bowhunting 100 Grain, .025″ 4 Blade Broadhead
- 2.11 Pros
- 2.12 Cons
- 2.13 5. Rage Bowhunting Hypodermic Crossbow Mechanical Broadhead
- 2.14 Pros
- 2.15 Cons
- 2.16 6. Precision Official Visionary Outdoors Broadheads Hunting Broadheads
- 2.17 Pros
- 2.18 Cons
- 3 Conclusion
What to Consider Before Choosing Best Crossbow Broadheads?
You’ll end up frustrated and flummoxed when you embark on the process of looking for the best crossbow broadheads. This is so because you’ll come across so many different types and varieties that you’ll have a hard time deciding which ones to pick and which to discard. However, we’ve made the onerous job of picking up the best somewhat convenient for you by listing six of the most versatile products after crosschecking innumerable models based on some basic yardsticks.
Following are some of the most significant aspects we took in consideration for reviewing the products
The speed with which the broadhead would travel from the crossbow to the target will to a great extent depend upon its weight. At the same time, the broadhead’s heaviness will also impact the effectiveness of its wound channel which inflicts the damage. Towards that end, lighter broadheads will travel faster covering a good distance but the intensity of the damage may not be great enough to make a perfect kill.
On the other hand, weightier broadheads will inflict a more severe damage, resulting in a quick slaying. However, the downsides of using heavy broadheads are that you’ll require more force to shoot them and your hunting perimeter will not be broad. So, you’ll have to choose broadheads that are neither too light nor too heavy and let you handle them effectively on all occasions.
The type of broadhead you select will perhaps be the single most important factor that’ll influence your selection of a good crossbow broadhead. You have three distinct broadhead types to choose from:
- Broadheads with detachable or replaceable blades: Broadheads with detachable or removable blades serve you well as these are easily replaceable when they get damaged. You simply need to replace the arrowhead and not the entire shaft which ultimately makes it cost-effective.
- Broadheads with fixed blades: Broadheads with fixed blades are designed exclusively for screwing onto the arrow shaft. This type of broadhead, as its name indicates, tends to be rigid and immovable, and is most compatible with compound crossbows.
- Mechanical Broadheads: Mechanical broadheads are the most versatile amongst the three different types. The versatility of a mechanical broadhead is underlined by its ability to retract or withdraw while shooting and opening up during contact. This unique attribute inflicts maximum damage, leading to a perfect kill.
3. Killing Potential or Effectiveness of Wound Channel
The killing potential of a broadhead is determined by the efficiency of its wound channel. Mechanical broadheads, by far, have the most effective wound channel, enabling you to kill your game seven out of ten times.
4. Legality of Use
Ensure that the crossbow broadheads you choose are allowed to be used in the regions or zones you prefer to hunt.
6 Best Crossbow Broadhead Reviews 2020
The ‘150 grain Boltcutter SS3 blade’ broadhead from Excalibur is equipped with a host of useful features, making it one of the best crossbow broadheads in the fixed type category. Excalibur has conducted painstaking research for years to develop this broadhead weighing 150 grains with a wound channel diameter of 1-1/6 inch. Reinforced with these top-of-the-line attributes, the Boltcutter darts at lightning speed without ever missing a target front even when shot from afar.
The only thing you need to make the Boltcutter deliver is a compatible compound crossbow. The heavy, pointed tip coupled with a compact profile makes this arrowhead zoom and hit the target forcefully, resulting in a fast kill. The incredible hardiness of the Boltcutter also makes it ideal for regular target practice.
- Superior construction shaped out of premium grade of stainless steel
- Innovative design, dashes even before you could blink your eye
- Lightweight design, easily mountable on your crossbow for an accurate shot
- Piercing and heavy tip penetrates the game deep enough resulting in instant immobilization
- The durability and resiliency of this broadhead also makes it handy for target practice
- The broadhead could simply brush through the target resulting in non-fatalistic wound owing to its tremendous speed
- May not give you the desired results if you’re using a companionable crossbow (preferably an Excalibur crossbow)
- More suitable for experienced crossbow hunters
- Somewhat expensive
The ‘Rage Bow Hunting Crossbow X Broadhead’ effortlessly qualifies for the ‘best of the best crossbow broadheads’ in the mechanical type class. For a start, this broadhead exploits the ‘ferrule alignment’ technology, for an immaculate aerodynamic flight. The end result is that the target quarry is hardly ever missed.
Then again, the three bolt or three-pronged blades are perfectly razor sharp that results in the creation of a profound wound channel. The broadhead weight rated 100 to 125 grain, makes it swoosh past your eye the moment it is shot from the crossbow. The Rage Bow Hunting CrossbowX mechanical broadhead also makes the most of the proprietary ‘shock collar’ technology ensuring that the blades expand only on contact.
When you order for this brand, you get practice arrowheads for free, thereby enabling you to hone your hunting skills.
- Razor-sharp blades go deep inside to inflict a mortal wound
- Fashioned out of the best quality of steel for lasting performance
- Stainless steel grade also ensures that the broadhead remains rust free
- 2” cutting diameter of blades for producing a deep gash without the mess
- MAT technology facilitates enhanced aerodynamic flight
- Shock collar technology ensures that the blades open only when they hit the target
- Some hunters and archers have found wound channeling issues
- The hunter will need to practice a lot for using this broadhead effectively
- The broad deployment quality means that it does not always fully penetrate and pass through the game
Another mechanical broadhead that easily qualifies for our ‘best crossbow broadheads’ is the ‘Swhacker 100 grain 2-inch cut broadhead’. The USP of this broadhead (delivered in a set of 3) from Swhacker is its twin-cutting edge design. The first set of bladed edges, called wing blades help in cutting through the skin and primary ribs.
The wing blades penetrate through the pelt, hair, grime, and bones, making it easier for the main blades to cut open the viscera. During impact, the primary set of edges bear the maximum load, enabling the ferrule to stabilize, thereby facilitating the main blades to open up. The blades are of carbon steel that only makes the broadhead somewhat lighter but also makes it more durable.
The ferrule constructed out of anodized aircraft-grade aluminum adds to the durability and also helps in firm screwing up. The broader blade diameter promotes a deeper wound channel. This Swhacker broadhead set is also recommended for practicing as the primary blade set bears the maximum brunt, keeping the secondary set of blades intact.
- Twin set of blade edges help ensure a faster and more humane kill
- Carbon steel blades keep the broadheads lightweight and durable
- Anodized aluminum ferrule for easier and firmer screwing-on
- Razor sharp blades (.032” thickness) for deeper wound perimeter
- Wider blade diameter also ensures a clean cut through
- Can be used for sharpening targeting skills
- Ideal for crossbow hunters looking to gain experience
- The 100 grain weight is not perfect for hitting the target with force
- Certainly not razor sharp as claimed by the manufacturer
- May take a lot of energy to shoot with accuracy
If you’re looking for a broadhead that does the basic job of felling a game efficiently and is affordable as well, then the Muzzy 209-MX4 is your best bet. These broadheads have been designed with meticulous care and hence they deliver on every front with perfection. These are quad-bolt blades that breakthrough swiftly, making a profound cut, and leaving behind a conspicuous trail of blood.
Mechanical broadheads need to be speedy without compromising on accuracy, and the ‘Muzzy 209-MX4’ delivers on both these fronts. ‘Trocar Tip’ technology is exploited to the hilt, making it remarkably easy for the arrowhead to shatter through bones and cartilages. 1-1/8 cutting broadness helps in creating bigger gashes but without the repulsive, gut-wrenching mess.
The blades have been shaped out of industrial grade of steel and are as sharp as surgical lancets. The arrowheads are lightweight enough for you to make a convenient delivery as these weigh 100 grains.
- Four pronged blades inflicting a deadly wound
- Broader cut of blades leads to producing deeper cuts
- Contracts perfectly during delivery and expands fully during hitting target
- Constructed from superior grade of steel: extended shelf life
- Lightweight for lightning-speed and accurate deployment
- Trocar tipped blades ensure that broadheads hit target hard enough for a kill
- Will need to hone the blades more often for holding on to their sharpness
- Since the header or tip is light, would inflicted will be mild if you are inaccurate
- More suitable for use by seasoned crossbow hunters
The Hypodermic Crossbow Mechanical Broadhead from Rage is more effective than the ‘bow hunting CrossbowX mechanical broadhead’ produced by the same manufacturer. This broadhead is extremely popular with professional archers and hardcore crossbow hunters thanks to its versatile wound channel and pinpoint accuracy. It takes advantage of FAT (ferrule alignment) technology, allowing it to dart aerodynamically, thus almost always finding the target.
The dual bolt blades have a razor-sharp edge that cut through the hide, cartilages, and bones like a knife runs through butter. You can choose from 100 grain or 125 grain arrowhead sets, depending on the type of crossbow you are using. No matter whichever variant you choose, they will stay nimble enough to be shot effectively.
The patented shock collar technology implies that the blades will only and only open up and expand when it goes through the target. The hypodermic syringe styled broadhead tip guarantees accurate and rapid piercing, thereby causing quick death. Free broadhead for target practicing has been included with the pack.
- Free alignment technology for an improved aerodynamic darting
- Heavy duty wound channel for wreaking fatalistic wound
- Blades produced out of superlative grade of steel thereby guaranteeing extended functional life
- .035” thick blades: incredibly sharp for ensuring a precision and cleaner cutting through
- 2” cutting width translates into large and round incisions
- Shock collar technology makes sure there is no pre-deployment of blades
- Many crossbow hunters have found setting the blade somewhat difficult
- Blades could become warped following regular use
- Quite expensive
The precision hunting broadheads from Visionary Outdoors Broadheads are very much reliable and perfectly accurate, provided you use them with the appropriate crossbow. The blades have 2.3” and 2.0” cutting channels that ensure a deeper cut and guarantee a blood trail for you to follow. You get two broadhead sets along with O-rings that are replaceable. These are multipurpose arrowheads, permitting you to slay medium and large-sized quarries.
The 100 grain weight of the broadheads facilitates faster deployment without sacrificing accuracy. So these broadheads are ideal for moose hunting, deer hunting, hog hunting, and elk hunting.
- Shock collar technology makes sure the blades do not open before striking target
- Hypodermic design for deep piercing
- Twin-edged blades for larger cut through
- Pack contains 6 blades-sufficient for target practice and actual hunting
- Stainless steel ferrule that are rust resistant
- Fabricated from high grade steel
- These are not as sharp as claimed by the producer
- They rattle quite a lot
- Blades are prone to bending after extensive use
Closing up, it can be inferred that all the six products reviewed above meet the parameters for claiming the tag of best crossbow broadheads. Choosing the best broadhead out of the six brands-Excalibur, Rage, Muzzy Swhacker, and Visionary Outdoors Broadheads-was a difficult task. However, if forced to choose one, I’d pick the Excalibur as it does the job efficiently, is sturdy and resilient, and priced moderately. Even the Rage models compete neck and neck with the Excalibur product.