As someone with flat feet, I thought it would be almost impossible to run without feeling pain or discomfort. However, once I was introduced to the best running shoes for flat feet. I was beyond impressed and happy I could begin running again!
You’ll be surprised with how many running shoes are able to accommodate those with flat feet. But because there are quite a number of brands and models to choose from, which is best?
Even I was confused at first, which is why I did the research to help you all out. So read on as I show you the best running shoes for flat feet!
- 1 What Are Flat Feet?
- 2 Benefits Of Choosing the Right Running Shoes
- 3 How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Flat Feet
- 4 FAQ On Running Shoes
- 5 Bonus Tips on How to Run With Flat Feet
- 6 The 12 Best Running Shoes For Flat Feet
- 6.1 1. ASICS GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe
- 6.2 Pros:
- 6.3 Cons:
- 6.4 2. Merrell Vapor Glove 3 Trail Runner
- 6.5 Pros:
- 6.6 Cons:
- 6.7 3. Brooks Revel
- 6.8 Pros:
- 6.9 Cons:
- 6.10 4. Under Armour Micro G Assert 7 Sneaker
- 6.11 Pros:
- 6.12 Cons:
- 6.13 5. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18
- 6.14 Pros:
- 6.15 Cons:
- 6.16 6. New Balance 510v3 Trail Running Shoes
- 6.17 Pros:
- 6.18 Cons:
- 6.19 7. ASICS Gel-Torrance Running Shoe
- 6.20 Pros:
- 6.21 Cons:
- 6.22 8. Feetmat Athletic Sneakers
- 6.23 Pros:
- 6.24 Cons:
- 6.25 9. FEIKENIU Men’s Running Shoes Breathable Mens Sneaker Walking Shoes Athletic
- 6.26 Pros:
- 6.27 Cons:
- 6.28 10. Xero Shoes TerraFlex Trail Running Hiking Shoe
- 6.29 Pros:
- 6.30 Cons:
- 6.31 11. ASICS Gel-Kahana 8 Running Shoe
- 6.32 Pros:
- 6.33 Cons:
- 6.34 12. New Balance MX608v4
- 6.35 Pros:
- 6.36 Cons:
- 7 Wrapping It Up
What Are Flat Feet?
Before we get into looking for running shoes for flat feet, the first question we have to address is: What are flat feet in the first place?
When you take a step or stand on your feet, there would usually be a gap beneath the inner part of your foot. The arch would raise off the ground slightly.
However, those with flat feet would have their feet flat on the ground, with a low arch or none at all. Because of this, one’s feet would roll to the inner side, which might cause it to point out.
Sometimes there are no symptoms, but many would experience the following:
- Swelling or pain
- Uneven body weight distribution
- The stiffness of the feet
That’s why it’s important to treat it as soon as possible, with the proper and supportive shoes being a huge help in relieving pressure and pain. Exercises will help a lot as well!
Benefits Of Choosing the Right Running Shoes
Now that you’re familiar with what flat feet is, how can the right shoes help with the symptoms?
Even I was wondering how shoes can help me. Isn’t it possible to simply purchase the most expensive shoes out there and hope for the best?
However, it wasn’t just the right running shoes that helped with the pain, but it also improved my runs in so many ways! Here are just some of the benefits a quality running shoe has to offer:
1. Better Efficiency
With a lightweight and specialized running shoes will help make your strides even quicker and without much effort compared to lower-quality, heavier running shoes. By doing this, you become more efficient, faster, and will be able to improve your time without worry! Plus, lighter shoes and less cushioning from a quality running shoe help with your flat feet.
2. Protection and Breathability
What I love about using the quality shoes is that they protect your flat feet from much pain while keeping it well-ventilated even when it’s covered. With the mesh material keeping things cool down there, there’s no worry about your feet overheating or feeling too uncomfortable as you run.
3. Fixes and Supports the Arch
Obviously, a quality running shoe will help prevent and fix overpronation and supination, which is extremely beneficial for flat foot runners. It absorbs the shock, limiting pain and risk of injury. Plus, this has your feet getting used to an arch, which minimizes its flatness and the symptoms you might experience from it.
4. Less Prone to Injury or Pain
And like what I mentioned, having a good pair of running shoes can help protect your feet (and entire body!) from any injuries after an intense run. That’s because shoes will protect your feet from hard objects while running, it keeps your feet from twisting, and even with flat feet, it has the arch support that prevents pain.
How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Flat Feet
While owning the right pair of running shoes is very beneficial, it will only work if you have the right one for you! But I know how confusing it can get to find the ideal one. After all, there’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to shoes, especially if you have flat feet that require specialized materials and design.
To help you out, here are the important tips and factors to consider when selecting the best running shoes for flat feet:
1. Where Are You Running?
Did you know that there are shoes that specialize in certain trails? You can get shoes for hiking or tough terrains, for trails, for roads, or for the treadmill. So figure out where you will usually be running on and find the pair of shoes that match it. I recommend you purchase running shoes great for treadmills and roads, as you should focus on running on even terrain.
2. Ideal Arch Support
I recommend that you find a pair of running shoes that have the best arch support to keep your strides long and free from pain. It should be at the right size and not too thick, as this may worsen your flat feet. You’ll need the balance between stability and cushioning.
3. Breathability and Comfort
Besides the proper support and cushioning, you also want the comfort as well. Go for shoes made with the mesh materials, which aren’t only lightweight and improve your running, but also breathable and will keep your feet well-ventilated and cool the entire run. Plus, focus on good quality which will help keep it stable and durable, lasting for years to come.
4. Good Motion
Focus on the good motion it has. You’ll want a wide range of motion for it to be easy to run, but it should also be supportive enough to prevent and twists or falls. It should reduce stress from your feet’s weak parts, as well as something that would flex and roll in the way your foot moves.
5. Waterproof and Slip-Resistance
Last but not the least, ensure that you get the shoes made of the waterproof uppers and slip-resistant soles, which will help prevent any accidents while keeping the feet away from moisture when running in wet environments. It also helps keep your body away from any possible sicknesses if ever your feet get wet!
Check out this helpful video showing you what you need to know about choosing running shoes:
FAQ On Running Shoes
Besides these helpful tips and benefits, there are more things you’ll need to know about running and using running shoes for flat feet. If you’re still hesitant and want to learn more about this, here are the three frequently asked questions to look into:
What Should You Wear When Running?
You should be comfortable when you run. I recommend that you wear DryFit articles of clothing to wick away the sweat. Wear loose and light-colored clothes during summer and layers during winter, with the amount depending on what makes you warm and comfortable. Avoid cotton when running, as this stays wet.
Can I Run With Casual Sneakers?
Now that’s a big no-no! Running shoes are made to absorb which while keeping your weight distribute evenly when you run. Casual shoes won’t be able to address those needs and may end up hurting you in the long run. Casual shoes are meant for walking or simply showing off.
Do I Need More Than One Pair?
That depends on how you run and how many times you do so. For those who run a lot, then you may want to invest in two or three pairs, which prevents overuse injuries. If you run every day, take note that the shoe’s midsole foam needs an entire day to recover from a run!
Bonus Tips on How to Run With Flat Feet
When it comes to running, you also have to learn all about caring for your shoes and how to run safely even with flat feet. If you aren’t familiar with running on flat feet and want to learn more about caring for your running shoes, follow these helpful tips!
- Before and after running, begin rebuilding those arches with exercises like ten repetitions of the curls. Stretch your feet as well to avoid any injuries and the like.
- When running, focus on running on level ground to prevent overpronating, which has your feet twist inward and put in pressure on your legs. Flat terrains are better to run on before you trained yourself to walk or run uphills. It’s recommended to begin running on a treadmill as well to avoid aching.
- Keep a good posture as you run, maintaining the erect posture for equal weight distribution.
- Improve your strength and stamina with strengthening exercises. This will also prevent foot pain. Besides running, start doing bodyweight exercises such as calf raises to protect your heels from any risk of injuries.
- Care for your shoes by washing them at least once a week, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Dry them well before storing them in a cool area where the shoes won’t get any molds.
The 12 Best Running Shoes For Flat Feet
Based on my research, tests, and overall customer reviews, these are the 12 best running shoes for flat feet you can invest in today:
If you want to make sure that you have one of the best shoes when running on any terrain, then I would recommend the ASICS GEL-Venture. When I first saw it, I was impressed with its look. There are many different styles to choose from but in the classy, simple design with bright overlays that make it safe to use during the night where you stay visible.
When I started using it, I could feel its comfort immediately. It didn’t have too much cushioning that made it extra soft, but I knew it wouldn’t just break on me or have me feel uncomfortable throughout the run. When I began running, there was good support so I didn’t need to worry about feeling any pain during or after running. Since using it, I have had no more problems with my feet and would definitely recommend these shoes to any gal with flat feet.
- Simple design with many colors to choose from
- The amazing support that helps lessen feet pain
- Comfortable and right amount of cushioning
- Great to use for just about any terrain
- Need to buy a wider size for flat feet
- Cloth and foam stuffing isn’t very durable
Merrell is known for their hiking shoes which can be used for trail running, and the Vapor Glove 3 Trail Runner is no exception! I love that it comes in many different colors, all of which made with a mesh upper and quality materials that make it even more durable than your typical trail shoes.
While it wasn’t recommended for me to run or walk on trails, these shoes really did help with my feet. Compared to before, when I was struggling to go up mountains and treks, I experience minimal pain and feel the comfort.
Furthermore, they are also versatile! I don’t just use them for trail running but for weight training or running in the gym, which make them so worth the price. For a pair of Merrell’s, I can definitely say I’m impressed and will use this for my future runs and workouts!
- The sizing chart is true to its word
- Spacious toe box for better balance
- Minimal padding for improved balance in any move
- Strong and durable materials
- Some complaints on stiff laces
- Some may not like feeling the ground too much
Another amazing and moderately-priced pair of shoes goes to Brooks Revel, which has the minimalistic design that looks good just about anywhere! This is best suited for running on roads or tracks, which is a great point for runners with flat feet.
It has the amazing feel and soft cushioning, but not too plush that it feels wrong and difficult to run in. Also, it has the lightweight features that I appreciate, making it easier when working out and running. And because of its mesh upper, I don’t worry about discomfort or my feet sweating, because the air ventilates inside, keeping my feet light and airy.
I’m impressed because it feels so cozy yet supports my flat feet, so I don’t suffer from stiffness or pain any longer. I would definitely buy another pair when this one wears out, which doesn’t seem like it will anytime soon.
- The shoes are comfortable and have a snug toe box
- It keeps feet cushioned well on hard terrain
- Has the excellent support to reduce pain and stiffness
- Durable material and can last for over a year
- It’s not the best for those with narrow feet
- May take a few days to break into the shoes
Another awesome choose is Under Armour, a company known for their excellent quality shoes. Their Micro G Assert 7 is one of them, coming in such a simple yet classy design that looks great no matter what you wear or where you plan on running. It’s lightweight and has the mesh upper, which makes it very comfortable to run with, considering that I need something that has my feet breathe while improving my runs.
I noticed that they are extremely comfortable to wear, even when I’m not running. The weight distribution was just right, not pointing towards my toe or midsole. That helped ease the pain and stiffness I usually felt, so I decided to make these my everyday shoes and to also use them for walks!
They are extremely durable and holds up to almost anything, and I’m impressed that even if I use them every day, nothing tears or wears out, feeling supportive as if I just got them.
- Lightweight and helps improve with my runs
- Mesh upper for better breathability and comfort
- Extremely durable and built to last
- Simple and professional design
- There are some complaints of receiving damaged shoes
- The shoes aren’t slip-resistant
This is another excellent shoe model coming from Brooks, the Adrenaline GTS-18!
Brooks is definitely known for their durability and comfort, with both of these features coming in this model. It has the manmade mesh upper that make it look amazing while keeping your feet breathing well, as well as the rubber sole for good support and cushioning. It distributed weight well, even for those with flat feet!
The Adrenaline GTS-18 comes with the more streamlined look and better cushioning, though not too much that would sabotage its balance as you run. The style looks like it’s made for running and workouts, too.
Running is now more of a breeze, literally! I applaud it for its breathability and ventilation, keeping my feet free from sweats or discomfort as I run. All in all, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who focuses on keeping their feet cool and light!
- It feels like you’re running on air with its light weight
- Has the stable and supportive sole
- Comes with good traction and slip-resistant
- Very comfortable for flat feet
- There’s no guard around the toes
- Not the best for trail running and better for treadmills and roads
For the men looking for quality running shoes for their next run, New Balance will not disappoint! It has the dark colors and hues all suitable for men but with the bright logo which makes night running less of a worry.
The shoes are great overall, with the optimum support and comfort. It’s also pretty durable, lasting for a year before I needed to replace them. And take note that I’ve used them for everyday wear or when running! There isn’t much pain, to begin with, and I can say it’s pretty comfortable as well. I have no major complaints except for the size.
While it IS something I would recommend, do order a size up, as the shoes run a bit smaller, especially for those with flat feet. But if you get the right size, then there’s not much to worry about!
- Comfortable for running and for everyday wear
- Good support to lessen discomfort for flat feet
- Durable and known to last for at least a year
- Good midsole and rubber outsole for runs
- Shoe sizes run a bit smaller
- Some complaints of the shoe rubbing their feet
For those who are still looking for the perfect men’s running shoe can go for the ASICS Gel-Tolerance Running Shoe, which offers the maximum support and cushioning to help absorb as much shock regardless where you run, which is best for those who have flat feet that may end up in pain with improper weight distribution for every step.
When I began running, I noticed a smoother transition when going to midstance, which improved both my runs and posture after just a few days of using it. I also appreciated that it has the removable sock liner so I can add in my own, which is made for flat feet.
However, I do wish that it would last longer, as that’s something they did not advertise. While the shoes hold up to runs, they do tend to wear out in a matter of months, which isn’t great as a long-term investment.
- High arch support perfect for flat feet
- Comfortable and with right cushioning
- It’s breathable with mesh upper
- Has a sleek and classy design
- These shoes would wear out easily
- The ASICS logo frays easily
I’m impressed with Feetmat’s beautiful design, which makes it a great choice as casual wear or for training and running. It also comes at such an affordable price, which is suitable for those on a budget looking for something that can still pass as running shoes for their flat feet.
For starters, there are many different colors to choose from, making them versatile! They also have the non-slip soles to run on any type of terrain, as well as the breathable and lightweight mesh that keeps my feet comfortable while my times improve.
Another thing I appreciate is that though it’s at a cheap price, it still has the arch support to reduce the pain and stiffness around the feet.
While it’s worth the price, remember that they aren’t the strongest and most durable. You get what you pay for and to lengthen its lifespan, you have to care for it properly.
- Very affordable and at a good value
- It dries quickly and soles are non-slip
- Good arch support for those with flat feet
- Cute and comfortable shoes with many colors to choose from
- It’s not the most durable shoes
- The memory foam insoles aren’t quality
While the Feetmat Athletic Sneakers are an affordable option for women, the FEIKENIU Running Shoes are the ones for men. Coming at such a cheap price, these shoes offer great value without breaking your wallet.
For starters, I appreciate that it has all the features one needs from a pair of running shoes. It’s breathable and with the anti-slip rubber sole, while also being odor-resistant. These are great to consider, especially if you have hot or sweaty feet after a run! They also have the cool design that makes it suitable not just for running, but when working out or for casual wear as well.
But just like the Feetmat shoes, they will require extra care to lengthen their lifespan. They aren’t as durable compared to other more expensive running shoes, though best for those on a budget.
- Affordable price with best value and features
- Non-slip soles for any terrain
- Versatile and can be used for running or style
- Simple and cool design
- Not the most durable shoes
- The upper mesh and inners are not waterproof
If you want to ensure that you have one of the best running shoes when running just about anywhere, then the Xero Shoes TerraFlex are the one for you. These men’s shoes aren’t only lightweight for better running, but also breathable for hot feet, keeping everything cool and free. It has the barefoot-inspired feel, but it also has the good cushioning that keeps flat feet okay for running, even when on the trail.
The shoes also have the good protection with a bare foam layer inside, so my feet can flex and stay comfortable while being snug as I run. They are definitely worth the investment!
However, do take note that these shoes would run small and I suggest that you order half a size to a size larger, especially if you have flat feet. Fortunately, they are accommodating and will replace it with the right size if you get the wrong one.
- Amazing customer service
- Has protection and trail-grip for any terrain
- Lightweight and comfortable to run with
- Barefoot and minimalistic feel
- Shoes run a bit small
- They wear out a bit too fast
Another excellent shoe from ASICS, the Gel-Kahana Running Shoe is perfect for men not just because of its dark, rugged design, but it’s excellent feel as well. I love that it has the much-needed features at a moderate price, with ASICS using advanced technology to keep it strong and comfortable.
For starters, it has the GEL-Cushioning system, which helps absorb shock even better and the smooth transition as you run. As a result, it’s helped with both my posture and running times. Furthermore, it has the optimum bounce back and a support system, which enhances the support and keeps my flat feet pain from flaring up.
For an ASICS shoe, I can say it’s worth the investment.
- Bounces back for a smooth transition for running
- Offers optimum support and stability for flat feet
- Amazing feel and cool design for men
- Well-constructed and durable
- Shoe sizes run a bit narrow
- There’s a bit of weight on your feet as you run
Last but not the least, we have the New Balance Mx608v4, which is suitable for men.
What I love about these New Balance shoes is its excellent material. It’s made from the USA and with the premium leather and suede upper. However, it also has the padded mesh tongue for breathability and better ventilation. I also appreciate that it can be used for workouts other than running, still keeping my feet stabilized and comfortable.
I noticed that my feet are now more comfortable and that it fits just right. They also last for quite a long time with proper care, and can be used anywhere, but better for cemented floors or treadmills.
While it’s a bit expensive, it still has the durability and comfort you’re looking for.
- Very comfortable shoe and good-looking
- Looks nice and durable, lasts for a long time
- Versatile and works for any use
- Perfect fit and offers snug support
- Unclear warranty support
- A bit expensive for its price
Wrapping It Up
And there you have it! With the right type of running shoes for flat feet, you won’t have to worry about any pain or discomfort anymore. You can run straight and without any hassle while breaking new records. Your flat feet don’t need to restrict you from anything!
Of all the different running shoes for flat feet tried and tested, I believe that the best one will have to go to the ASICS GEL-Venture Running Shoes. Not only did it have the high-abrasion running sole, but also the removable foam sock liner, so it will be able to accommodate your own liners that help with flat feet.
It’s extremely comfortable to run with and I’ve experienced no pain whatsoever when using these pair of shoes, which make it so worth the price. Plus, I love its neutral yet bright design, which has me visible when running at night.
Hopefully, this purchasing guide on the best running shoes for flat feet gave you an idea on what you should begin investing in for your next run today. So don’t wait any longer and look into any of these shoes now!
If you have any questions or want to share your tips and reviews on any of these shoes, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.