If you want to run faster and in a pain-free way, then you need to have the best running shoes for men. There are different types and brands of running shoes for men available on the market today. However, only the right types of shoes are capable of offering you a running experience that you desire. We have reviewed for you 12 of the best running shoes you can choose from.
- 1 12 Best Running Shoes for Men 2020
- 1.1 1. Brooks Men’s Ghost 10 – Best Overall
- 1.2 Pros:
- 1.3 Cons:
- 1.4 2. adidas Performance Men’s Ultra Boost Street – Best for Road Running
- 1.5 Pros:
- 1.6 Cons:
- 1.7 3. Altra AFM1859F Men’s Olympus 3 – Best for Trail Running
- 1.8 Pros:
- 1.9 Cons:
- 1.10 4. ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20 – Best for Distance Running
- 1.11 Pros:
- 1.12 Cons:
- 1.13 5. Saucony Triumph ISO 5 – Best for Neutral Runners
- 1.14 Pros:
- 1.15 Cons:
- 1.16 6. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Pegasus 35 – Best for Plantar Fasciitis
- 1.17 Pros:
- 1.18 Cons:
- 1.19 7. New Balance Men’s Beacon V1 Fresh Foam – Best for Fast Training
- 1.20 Pros:
- 1.21 Cons:
- 1.22 8. adidas Men’s Adizero Tempo 9 – Best for Marathon Racing
- 1.23 Pros:
- 1.24 Cons:
- 1.25 9. Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 14 – Best Support and Stability Running Shoes
- 1.26 Pros:
- 1.27 Cons:
- 1.28 10. Hoka One One Men’s Bondi 4 – Best for Wide Feet
- 1.29 Pros:
- 1.30 Cons:
- 1.31 11. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 – Best for Wide Feet
- 1.32 Pros:
- 1.33 Cons:
- 1.34 12. Reebok One Guide – Best Budget Option
- 1.35 Pros:
- 1.36 Cons:
- 2 Features to Look For When Buying the Best Running Shoes for Men
- 3 Advantages of Running Shoes
- 4 FAQS About Running Shoes
- 4.1 1. Can I safely run in my shoes if I have flat feet?
- 4.2 2. Are these running shoe models good for people like me who overpronate?
- 4.3 3. If I buy a pair of running shoes for flat feet, do I still need the orthotic insoles that I use for other normal shoes?
- 4.4 4. Every time I buy running shoes online, I end up with shoes that don’t fit me right. Any suggestions?
- 5 Conclusion
12 Best Running Shoes for Men 2020
1. Brooks Men’s Ghost 10 – Best Overall
If you are looking for a high-quality men’s running shoe that is versatile, then Brooks Ghost Men’s running shoes are the best option for you. It is designed to be durable and has a superior cushioning. The Ghost running shoe is a nice option for people with plantar fasciitis due to its full-length crash pad and its plush interior.
It features Omega Flex Grooves for excellent flexibility and fluidity. It has a soft sole and a firmer forefoot to facilitate an efficient and comfortable running and offer you a nice balance. This running shoe is suitable for all men of all running experience levels. You can use this shoe for all types of runs. If you want to go for a long distance road race or you just want a short treadmill run, the Brooks Ghosts running shoes for men will be suitable for you. Its upper is made of weather resistant material and is capable of drying faster after getting wet. What’s more, it has a roomy toe box. Its upper is also sleeker than its previous version.
- Its high energizing cushioning offers excellent comfort.
- Has incredible grip suitable for all terrains.
- Quality design.
- Very breathable.
- Very light hence suitable for long distance running.
- Has better arch support.
- The sole unit feels sturdy, comfortable and less bulky.
- Their midsole have a better shocking absorbing capacity.
- All around shoe for everyday training.
- It’s a little porous when you run while it’s raining.
- The shoe has less reflective material around it.
2. adidas Performance Men’s Ultra Boost Street – Best for Road Running
This shoe type is designed in such a way that it perfectly combines cushioning, support and stability to give you everything you need when you want to pound the pavement. Its revolutionary and innovative midsole foam makes it superbly responsive and gives it the right cushioning.
The Ultra Boost’s fit is unbelievably comfortable. It features generous padding throughout its entire length. The Adidas Ultra Boost also features its own proprietary outsole that is made of rubber. The outsole is capable of adapting and stretching to give you maximum power in every stride you make.
The Adidas Ultra Boost’s midsole features the Torsion System technology to give the shoe torsional stability. The midsole, therefore, offers maximum transition without adding any weight. Its upper features an engineered mesh that stretches to comfortably hug your foot. The upper is also extremely breathable and lightweight. The engineered mesh is designed to adapt to your foot and offer you maximum support and comfort.
- Has a fashionable design.
- Works well as both a shoe brand for running and for casual walks.
- Midsole unit feels lightweight.
- Comfortable to wear for long runs.
- Features an energy-returning boost technology to make your every step feel energized as you run.
- Has external heel counter that prevents in-shoe wobbling.
- Its robustness is on-point.
- Features raised traction nodes for perfect road running.
- The traction nodes wear off after some time.
3. Altra AFM1859F Men’s Olympus 3 – Best for Trail Running
This maximally cushioned men’s running shoe is a beast of a trail shoe. It performs well on all types of trails. You will appreciate its cushioning as it is designed to perfectly protect your feet while you are running. It features a more reinforced upper that is meshed. This shoe brand comes in standard shoe sizes so that you can enjoy wearing it in your regular size.
Its durable MegaGrip outsole makes it suitable for trail running and any other outdoor activities. The Altra Men’s Olympus Running Shoe is designed to offer you with reliable traction whether you are on a dry or wet terrain. Its outsole is made of a high-performance rubber that makes it durable. Its outsole has tread patterns that are similar to the shape of the toes. The midsole is made of a special material that makes it resilient to wear and tear. The shoe is therefore capable of protecting the underfoot of your shoe and is also made of a dual-layer EVA to add more cushioning and provide you with an efficient ride. The upper is breathable and is also made of an abrasion-resistant material.
- The upper is more structured and supportive.
- Its toe box has enough wiggle room.
- Provides maximum grip on any terrain.
- Has the perfect cushioning hence comfortable for long walks.
- Good for men with foot pains or conditions like plantar fasciitis.
- Facilitates a natural foot positioning due to its zero-drop platform.
- The outsole is very durable.
- The shoe laces are short.
- The heel cuff feels a bit restrictive.
4. ASICS Gel-Cumulus 20 – Best for Distance Running
This daily trainer has a sturdy feeling and a smooth fitting that makes it the best running shoe for distance running. The Asics Cumulus 20 is competitively priced for what it offers. It has excellent cushioning in its forefoot and rearfoot for optimal shock absorption. It also has a gel system that reduces shock to make it comfortable for you.
The Asics 20 shoe has a vertical sole grove to perfectly guide your foot throughout the gait cycle. Its guidance system also helps in controlling your landing mechanics. Its outsole consists of high abrasion rubber to give you grip in the right places. This makes the shoe to be a better performer on all kinds of trails and even rain-slicked terrains. The treads are very durable making the Asics Gel Cumulus perfect for high-mileage running. It also features a restyled upper that is slimmed down. The upper is made of a stretcher mesh material that offers better breathability than its previous versions. Its sockliner is cozy and comfortably wraps your foot to guard against blisters.
- Its sizing is very accurate.
- Its midsole offers excellent cushioning and optimum underfoot support.
- Performs great in everyday runs.
- Offers a secure fit that is not cramped.
- Lightweight making it great for distance running.
- Its mesh upper feels nice on the foot.
- The outsole is firm and equally flexible.
- It needs a break-in period since its stiff when you wear it at first.
- The midsole lacks liveliness and bounce.
5. Saucony Triumph ISO 5 – Best for Neutral Runners
The Saucony ISO 5 is perfect for men who are neutral runners. It has a flexible fit with a high cushioning that makes it good for any neutral runner. They are designed with tons of technology that makes it a top-of-the-line running shoe.
It features a thick full-length midsole and a rubber outsole that is slightly thinner than its older version. Due to its foam package, it is very soft and will give your foot high energy return by guiding it throughout your gait cycle. It has an enhanced fit since it has a narrower heel and a wider forefoot.
The outsole is made of crystal rubber that is durable. The outsole also gives the shoe added texture for maximum grip even on wet surfaces. Its upper features a double-layered knitted mesh. This mesh not only offers breathability and flexibility but also provides the shoe with a perfect mechanical stretch. The Triumph ISO 5 from Saucony offers a comfortable fit that is performance-oriented. Wearing it feels good due to its roomy forefoot that gives your toes the extra room to play and wiggle. The shoe can adapt to all types of foot shapes thanks to its dynamic saddle system.
- Excellently breathable.
- Offers you the right support you need while running.
- Its cushioning is soft and responsive.
- Offers you a lively and energetic ride so that you don’t have to sacrifice a lot of your energy.
- Has an excellent fit that is comfortable.
- Has a roomy toe box.
- Has good shock absorption.
- Offers good traction on nearly all types of surfaces.
- The forefoot can be too wide if you have narrow feet.
- It’s a bit heavy.
6. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Pegasus 35 – Best for Plantar Fasciitis
The Pegasus shoe line from Nike is very popular. Their latest update is the Nike Pegasus 35. It is the best shoe for you if you are suffering from foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis. This is due to its air-unit feature that runs throughout its length. The air-unit feature employs airbag on its forefoot and heel.
The airbag offers wearers with a smooth transition from their heels to their toes as they go through their strides. That’s not all, the airbags are encased within a lightweight and responsive foam for extra comfort. Its upper has a sleek bootie design with a generously roomy forefoot that is not too wide. Other features that give the Nike Zoom Pegasus its sporty aesthetics are its pointed heels and its upturned collar.
The Peg also has an outsole that is designed with high-performance in mind. Its outsole is greatly designed to facilitate a smooth landing for your foot. The rubber rails on its outsole surface have lengthwise grooves to provide you a gentle connection with the trail surface.
The rubber rails also offer maximum grip on any surface. Its fit is snug throughout its midfoot so you can feel comfortable without being cramped. Since the shoe has a roomy forefoot, it comes with a Flywire lacing system that can be used by those with narrow feet to cinch the shoe down for a perfect fit.
- The peg is extremely comfortable.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Does not require any breaking in since it is good to go even when it is fresh from the shelves.
- It is very stylish since it is available in several color choices.
- Comes with a fit that is more focused.
- Offers a smooth ride hence good for people with plantar fasciitis.
- Excellent breathability.
- Offers reliable foot control.
- Awesome traction.
- The laces are difficult to adjust.
- Highly priced.
7. New Balance Men’s Beacon V1 Fresh Foam – Best for Fast Training
If you want a lighter and faster men’s running shoe, we recommend the New Balance Beacon Men’s Running Shoes. This incredibly lightweight running shoe is a very versatile trainer. It features an EVA midsole that makes it incredibly light and gives it a decent cushioning. Its foam-line is made of Fresh Foam that enables it to have a fitting with comfortable fitting.
If you are looking to race or take part in speed training, then the New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon is the right option for you. Its outsole is made of blown rubber to offer excellent surface traction and protect the shoe against damage. Its outsole also has a textured surface with shallow grooves to heighten grip and enable flexibility.
Its midsole consists of a foam cushioning unit throughout its entire length to give you a ride that is soft and springy. The midsole foam also gives the shoe a featherweight feel and minimizes landing impact so you can comfortably run at high speed. Its upper is made of a soft mesh that provides a breathable wrap. It’s upper also gives you an in-shoe experience that is capable of adapting to your gait cycle. Its tongue and collar are padded to prevent the shoe from wobbling and come-off your foot accidentally. The lace-up closure gives the Beacon a comfortable and secure lockdown. You can also adjust the laces to achieve your desired fit.
- Delivers a fantastic ride that is consistent throughout the long run.
- Provides plenty of cushioning that is perfect for running long races.
- Very lightweight hence suitable for fast training.
- Offers adequate arch support to the heels.
- Reasonably priced.
- Has an all-knit flexible upper.
- Its exposed foam limits its durability.
- Has a narrow forefoot.
8. adidas Men’s Adizero Tempo 9 – Best for Marathon Racing
The Tempo 9 from Adidas is a fast training men’s running shoe that offers a lot of stability while running on the roads. It is great for marathon racing due to its unique rubber sole that offers excellent traction. The outsole has a StretchWeb covering that makes the outsole more flexible.
The Tempo 9 has a midsole that is made of comfortable Boost Cushioning. The midsole is also made of an EVA material that will give you a lot of impact protection if you want to run longer distance than 5 km. Its midfoot area has a Torsion System to reduce overpronation. The Torsion System also ensures that your foot and shoe move in synchrony.
The Tempo 9 also has a heel counter at the rear section for additional support. Another component in its midsole area is its Energized Stability section that promotes a stable ride. Its upper is made of faux-leather mesh to give the shoe excellent flexibility and a super attractive look too. The shoe also features a toe bumper and a thinner tongue to protect your forefoot and allow you to customize your shoe fit.
- It is super durable.
- Its excellent cushioning offers firm support.
- The shoe is roomy and still manages to have an upper fit.
- Very breathable.
- Offers great traction on all types of surfaces, from wet to dry.
- Nicely designed.
- Lightweight hence great for marathon running.
- The sizing schemes are smaller.
- Lacks many color options.
9. Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 14 – Best Support and Stability Running Shoes
The Mizuno Inspire 14 is a shoe that has a lot of exciting technologies that makes it the best option for you if you are looking for a stability shoe. To name a few of these features, we have the X10 technology that offers excellent traction and durability in its heel area. Its Cloudwave technology provides extra stability.
Its outsole has flex grooves on it to give maximum traction on wet and dry surfaces. These grooves also facilitate the heel-to-toe transaction. Its midsole is designed to facilitate a soft and smooth running experience. The midsole is also made of lightweight foam compounds that act as cushioning materials and gives a rebound performance.
Overall, the midsole provides plenty of stability, making this shoe to be great for over-pronators. It upper is extremely well-designed and is made of lightweight mesh material. The mesh offers breathability and is also comfortable. The upper also has stitched overlays to offer strength. Its lacing system features round laces that are semi-stretchable to add extra comfort and security.
- Has a great shock attenuating platform.
- Has excellent stability features in its midsole.
- Offers good traction for all types of surfaces.
- Its mesh upper is breathable.
- Has a wide variety of color options.
- Very durable.
- It’s a bit narrow around its toe box.
- It’s somewhat heavy.
10. Hoka One One Men’s Bondi 4 – Best for Wide Feet
If you have wide feet, then the Hoka One Bondi 4 men’s running shoe is what you should buy. It features a full EVA midsole with maximum padding so that it offers you a comfortable and plush running experience. It has a rockered design that will gently push you forward while you are running.
Its outsole is made of a lightweight EVA rubber to offer maximum traction and improve durability. The Hoka One Bondi 4 is, therefore, not only suitable for road running but also great from light trails. The shoe brand also offers a smooth heel transition and enhanced ground contact. Its midsole is made of a soft EVA foam for excellent cushioning and additional support.
Its upper is made of a lightweight air mesh. This offers good airflow for excellent breathability and comfort. The upper is highly stretchable thanks to the Lycra ComfortFrame. This creates a sock-like feel and gives the shoe good recovery properties. The TPU Heel Counter technology is also used in the upper of this shoe brand for a more secure fit. It also has a padded tongue for added comfort.
- Its air mesh upper offers a breathable coverage.
- The upper is agreeable to the skin and stretchable thanks to its Lycra ComfortFrame.
- Its padded tongue delivers a snug security and extra comfort.
- Good for recovery runs.
- Available in wide sizes making it great for people with wide feet.
- Encourages propulsive movement and better performance.
- The Heel Counter prevents accidental shoe removal by locking the rear section of the shoe to keep it in place.
- Lacks proper arch support.
- Its outsole unit wears off after some time.
11. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 – Best for Wide Feet
This men’s running shoe is very popular with runners that have wide feet. It is designed to provide proper support, excellent stability and adequate cushioning. The Adrenaline GTS is also very lightweight and highly responsive. Its outsole is designed to offer excellent traction and improve durability.
The outsole is made of a high abrasion rubber for great protection for both the shoe and your feet. The forefoot and heel section of this shoe is made of blown rubber to provide a responsive push. It also has a compound known as Flextra in its forefoot area to provide an intuitive fit. The shoe also guarantees good heel-to-toe transition due to its Stable Configuration on its outsole.
The midsole section is made of an enhanced foam to give runners with wide feet an adaptable underfoot feel. It uses a gel-based cushioning that is very malleable for a dynamic run. The midsole helps in preventing any discomfort that may be caused by overpronation. Its upper features a newly-engineered mesh that gives it a sleeker look and a comfortable feel. The inner sleeve of its upper has moisture-control capabilities so that your foot stays dry and cool throughout your entire running sessions.
- Has substantial cushioning with well-balanced arch support.
- Has a sleek design.
- It is true to size.
- The shoe dries quickly after running with it under rainy conditions.
- Its upper is streamlined and gives a firm hold.
- It is very comfortable.
- Offers optimal stability.
- Not very durable.
- Does not give a secure fit.
12. Reebok One Guide – Best Budget Option
If you are looking for an affordable running shoe that still has the features that its high-end counterparts have, then the Reebok One Guide is the best for you. The shoe is well-crafted for any runner. This multi-layered men’s running shoe is designed to offer runners with comfort and optimal stability.
Its lateral arch area is flat so that runners can have maximum contact with the ground. It features a foamFoamFusionmidsole that offers users with optimal performance perk throughout their entire gait cycle. It has two different layers on its outsole unit to provide excellent cushioning and offer propulsive movement.
The gripping lugs on its outsole will give you maximum traction and optimal surface control. The midsole is made of C43 foam to offer added cushioning. The foam in its midsole is essential in keeping your foot well-supported and effectively dissipating shock. Its cushioning system is also very responsive.
- Its low-cut design gives the foot freedom for a more natural movement.
- The outsole is designed with features that enhance maximum traction and durability.
- The shoe is breathable.
- Its upper is flexible and stretchable.
- Fits perfectly.
- Wears and tears after shorter use.
- Is a bit bulky.
Features to Look For When Buying the Best Running Shoes for Men
When looking for running shoes that are best suited for your foot type, you should remember to consider its motion control, support and stability features. For example, if you have flat feet, the stability that your running shoe offers matters a lot. Stability of your running shoes is something that you should never compromise on.
A good running shoe brand should have technologies that enable it to provide you with additional support. The shoes should be made of rigid materials to offer stability and motion control. The shoes should also offer arch support to your feet so that your feet are in the right position.
This is a very important feature that should not be overlooked. Wearing running shoes that are not breathable normally mean that all the sweat on your feet will be retained. Due to poor airflow, the odor may start to build in your shoes and this may even lead to a foot infection.
A running shoe with great breathability is well ventilated and ensures that your feet stay dry throughout your running session. Breathability also helps to reduce the buildup of bacteria.
You don’t want to wear shoes that feel like someone has strapped some stiff boards to your feet. You need running shoes that will make your feet move as naturally as possible. You should, therefore, go for running shoes that promise excellent flexibility.
You need to buy a running shoe that will offer you adequate protection from impact and maximum shock absorption. You should ensure that your running shoe has decent cushioning on its outsole. Your shoe should also have the right type of outsole that is suitable for use on all type of terrains. If you run on a surface with a shoe that has the wrong outsole, you may slide and may be at a higher risk of suffering soft tissue injuries.
An ideal running shoe should be made of materials that are capable of absorbing most if not all of the impact force. However, the level of cushioning in a good running shoe will depend on what kind of a runner you are. If you are an elite runner, then you need a minimalist running shoe.
On the other hand, if you are a moderate runner, then you need to go for a running shoe with a lot of cushioning on its midsole areas. Cushioning normally helps to reduce the impact shock of your heel strike.
Advantages of Running Shoes
1. Foot Cushioning
One of the most important benefits of using running shoes is that they offer midsole foot cushioning. This type of cushioning helps to reduce the stress placed toes, ankles and heels when you are running.
This helps to make running very comfortable and safe. Cushioning can also alleviate hip pain, back pain and improve body movements.
2. Injury Prevention
Using running shoes can protect you from certain types of injuries. Arch support and midsole cushioning have been shown to prevent certain types of injuries like joint pains and stress fractures. It also protects your feet from cuts and scrapes.
3. Improved Performance
Runners who use the right type of shoes always experience improved athletic performance as compared to those who use regular shoes. This is mainly due to the added comfort and running capacity that these shoes provide runners with.
Whether you are a competitive runner or just a regular person, you can boost your athletic performance when you wear these running shoes.
4. Arch Support
If you have flat feet, then you need to ensure that your running shoes are capable of offering you arch support. If you also have high arches, you can also benefit from using these running shoes.
Most running shoes are designed to offer arch stability making them great accessories for people with foot problems.
5. Fixes Overpronation and Supination
People who overpronate their feet when they run are at a risk of developing foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis and shin splints. For people suffering from supination, there is a lot of stress on their foot ligaments, making them susceptible to injuries. There are running shoes that are specifically designed to fix such problems. Shoes for overpronation will keep your foot from rolling inward and provide extra support. Running shoes designed for supination are also capable of fixing this problem. They are designed with extra cushioning to absorb shock from your feet.
FAQS About Running Shoes
1. Can I safely run in my shoes if I have flat feet?
You can comfortably run in these running shoes even if you have flat feet. There are running shoes that are well suited for people with flat feet. These shoes will offer your feet with the right type of support it needs.
2. Are these running shoe models good for people like me who overpronate?
Yes, there are running shoe models that are specifically designed for people who overpronate.
3. If I buy a pair of running shoes for flat feet, do I still need the orthotic insoles that I use for other normal shoes?
If you purchase running shoes for flat feet, you don’t need to use your orthotic insoles when you wear them. These shoes will provide you with the adequate support that your feet need.
4. Every time I buy running shoes online, I end up with shoes that don’t fit me right. Any suggestions?
If you want to order your running shoes online, you should first go to a local store and try the shoes you want to buy on so you can make sure that it fits you. After that, you can now order your pair of shoes online. Make sure that you don’t forget the correct size when purchasing online.
Whether you want to go for a few lapses around your neighborhood or go for a workout in the gym, it is important for you to buy yourself a great pair of running shoes. You can’t enjoy your running sessions if you have blisters on your feet or feel some discomfort from wearing a subpar running shoes.
We have reviewed for you the best running shoes for men that you can choose from. Your choice will depend on your preferences and what you expect from your running shoes. If you have wide feet, then you can go for the best running shoe for wide feet that we have recommended for you. If you want stability, then we have recommended the best stability running shoes for you. However, when it comes to our pick for the best running shoes for men, then Brooks Ghost Running Shoes is the clear winner. This is because it is a versatile and a high-quality running shoe brand that can be used for everyday training.