Do you have wide feet and have trouble finding shoes for it to exercise with? Then I recommend that you look into the best running shoes, which help in keeping you comfortable without the tightness. Read on to learn more about getting quality running shoes to accommodate your wide feet and a purchasing guide!
- 1 What Are the Exact Causes of Wide Feet Anyway?
- 2 The Benefits Of Using the Right Running Shoes
- 3 How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet
- 4 5 Best Men’s Running Shoes for Wide Feet 2019
- 4.1 1. New Balance Men’s 990v4 – The Durable and Rugged Design
- 4.2 Pros:
- 4.3 Cons:
- 4.4 2. adidas Men’s Cloudfoam Ultimate Running Shoe – The Well-Ventilated and Soft
- 4.5 Pros:
- 4.6 Cons:
- 4.7 3. Brooks Men’s Ghost 11 – The Lightweight and Smooth Feel
- 4.8 Pros:
- 4.9 Cons:
- 4.10 4. WHITIN Men’s Minimalist Trail Runner – The Bright and Minimalist
- 4.11 Pros:
- 4.12 Cons:
- 4.13 5. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Running Shoe – The Quick and Optimized
- 4.14 Pros:
- 4.15 Cons:
- 5 5 Best Women’s Running Shoes for Wide Feet 2019
- 5.1 1. adidas Originals Women’s Superstar Shoes Running – The Cool and Plush
- 5.2 Pros:
- 5.3 Cons:
- 5.4 2. ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 6 Running-Shoes – The Strong and Light
- 5.5 Pros:
- 5.6 Cons:
- 5.7 3. Brooks Womens Launch 5 – The Well-Cushioned and Comfy
- 5.8 Pros:
- 5.9 Cons:
- 5.10 4. New Balance Women’s Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoe – The Quick Response and Supportive
- 5.11 Pros:
- 5.12 Cons:
- 5.13 5. NIKE Women’s Tanjun Running Shoes – The Breathable and Professional
- 5.14 Pros:
- 5.15 Cons:
- 6 How to Run Better With Wide Feet
- 7 The FAQ About the Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet
- 8 Conclusion
What Are the Exact Causes of Wide Feet Anyway?
Having wide feet means having foot measurements with longer widths compared to normal from our respective sizes. It isn’t a dangerous or worrying condition, though it may cause discomfort as it’s difficult to find shoes that fit snugly. Fortunately, most shoes and companies now cater to those with wider feet, though it’s still an annoyance to many who suffer from it. Those whose feet width are over three to four inches are considered to have wide feet. But what are the exact causes of wide feet anyway? Here are the usual causes of it:
Many people can be born with wide feet, getting it from parents or other relatives. But did you know that having wide feet can actually help with your balance and improve your athletic capabilities in sprinting and swimming?
2. Flat Feet
Those with flat feet usually have a low arch or none at all, which is also similar to wide feet. It can develop when you’re a child, or it grows in age. When your feet get flatter, the wider they get!
This is one of the most common symptoms of pregnancy, specifically during the second and third trimesters. This is because the pregnancy hormones loosen your joints around the pelvis but stretch the feet ligaments, causing wide feet.
4. Wrong Shoes
If you always wear shoes that are too tight or small, your feet tend to swell up, looking wider. This can cause health problems or deformities!
There aren’t any problems directly related to wide feet beside the physical aesthetic. However, some issues can occur if you wear the wrong and tight shoes. This can cause bunions and corns, causing deformity and pain in the long run.
The Benefits Of Using the Right Running Shoes
You’re probably wondering: Why bother making such a huge investment on running shoes for wide feet anyway? Can’t I just use the usual shoes I have now and save money? That’s what I used to think of as well until I actually invested on the right runnings shoes that accommodated my size and foot width! Here are just some of the benefits using the right running shoes can do:
1. Prevent Injury From Better Fit
Having shoes that fit your feet well with the right width helps keep your feet snug. It isn’t too tight nor is it too loose, which is one thing that causes injuries. Because of this, your get is protected from the rough objects and terrain, also preventing any ankle twists and other injuries associated with running!
2. Increase Comfort and Keeps Feet Breathing
Quality shoes are made with excellent quality cushioning, with most companies offering even extra plush feel for those with feet conditions like wide feet. Furthermore, running shoes have the breathable mesh material, which promoted ventilation in your feet to keep them cool and comfortable.
3. Efficiency and Improved Runs
With more comfortable shoes thanks to the cushioning and material, you’re able to run for longer distances or sprint with better spring action and response. As a result, you have better times or distances with your runs, breaking old records. You become more confident as a runner this way!
4. Your Feet Look and Feel Better
Running shoes come in so many patterns, colors, and designs, which you can show off on or off the track. One of the reasons why we stay motivated as runners are because of the lovely and innovative designs our shoes come in! So the better we feel with cute and handsome-looking shoes, improving our runs in a way.
5. Lasts Long and Worth the Investment
Quality shoes made from excellent materials and processes are known to maintain its shape longer, lasting for thousands of miles without much wear and tear. Compared to cheap shoes that break within a few runs, you get the long-term investment and your money’s worth, especially if you really want to pursue running!
How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet
Using running shoes is very beneficial to improve your runs while sating comfortable. But you can only reap these advantages if you have the right quality running shoes for you! With that being said, how will you know which running shoes are most suitable for your wide feet?
Check out these helpful factors to consider:
1. The Size and Weight
Make sure that the shoes you get are lightweight so it feels lighter to run with, rather than feeling like it pulls you down. Invest in running shoes that are your size and have a wider toe box, accommodating your feet length and width.
2. Where Will You Run?
Consider where you plan on running the most. There are different kinds of running shoes which accommodate various terrains such as the road, trails, track, or even the treadmill. This all depends on the sole, so also focus on getting slip-resistant ones.
3. Design and Colors
Of course, consider what kind of design and colors you want your running shoes to be for the aesthetic and confidence! Look into your favorite colors which match your skin and outfit to feel better. Consider getting those with reflective designs if you go on night runs.
4. Breathability and Comfort
I highly appreciate running shoes which have the breathable mesh all over but the waterproof materials to promote breathability without my feet getting wet. Also, the running shoes should have excellent and soft cushioning to prevent discomfort around the feet as I make an impact.
5. Quality Material
The material and processing of your running shoes must be made from the quality items. This will help it last longer despite the miles you put on it. It should also have the excellent arch support and flexibility to improve the way you run, lessening any pain or risk of injury upon using it.
6. Brand and Budget
Last but not least, what brand do you prefer and how much are you able to afford? While you shouldn’t go all out and spend thousands on a pair of shoes, avoid scrimping as well and find a reasonable budget, the middle ground. That’s when you can begin searching through various reputable brands such as Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Brooks, and more.
5 Best Men’s Running Shoes for Wide Feet 2019
1. New Balance Men’s 990v4 – The Durable and Rugged Design
If you’re looking for one of the best running shoes made for any type of runner’s foot, the New Balance 990v4 is the one for you. It comes in so many different colors and designs, with the quality materials I see, are built to last.
The shoes have the breathable mesh upper and supportive overlays, which have really increased both comfort and painless runs. I’m able to enjoy running for miles with my feet feeling too hot or tight! Plus, they have the wide toe box and people of all sizes and weights can use it without feeling the wear and tear. All in all, it’s the shoe for all men and is the most versatile one.
- Men of any shape and size can use it without damaging it
- Amazing support and breathable mesh, no issues with long runs
- It’s made of the quality materials that will last for years
- It doesn’t have a long-lasting insole
- The soles feel a bit stiff compared to other shoes
2. adidas Men’s Cloudfoam Ultimate Running Shoe – The Well-Ventilated and Soft
I am in love with the Adidas Cloudfoam Running Shoe! As the name suggests, it’s the ultimate running shoe made for those with wide feet, having the wide toe box and stretchable materials to accommodate both narrow and wide sizes.
What makes the Adidas special is that it has the cloudfoam ultimate, which includes an extremely soft insert and a cloud midsole. It feels like you’re walking on soft clouds and ground, even when you’re on tough terrains! For its versatility and stability (the soles don’t move and laces stay in place), it’s definitely a good choice to consider.
- Very comfortable with the cloudfoam technology
- Lightweight and can be used to walk and run for long periods
- More affordable price coming from the Adidas shoe line
- It runs in smaller sizes, get half a size up
- The soles wear out a bit quicker and require replacement
3. Brooks Men’s Ghost 11 – The Lightweight and Smooth Feel
I was quite surprised with the Brooks Ghost, which was a bit too lightweight at first. But when I began running with it, I noticed that it was like I was running barefoot but on top of clouds! Even after a ton of intense runs, the shoe holds up and provides some of the smoothest runs I’ve ever had.
The shoe itself has a secure fit with the stretchable structure accommodating any length and width. Also, it has a better response because of its quality cushioning, forming to the weight and shape of my feet. With its better shock absorbers, there’s no smoother run than this!
- Smooth impact with quality shock absorbers
- Stretchable and lightweight structure, fitting wide feet
- Doesn’t overpronate and can be used to run on most terrains
- Comes at a more expensive price than others
- Might feel a bit loose for other runners
4. WHITIN Men’s Minimalist Trail Runner – The Bright and Minimalist
Some runners want to go minimalist running, which provides the feel of the terrain without it injuring your feet. If you want to run on trails with a minimalist shoe that accommodates your wide feet, then WHITIN is most recommended. It’s barefoot inspired and offers the wide toe box AND protection your feet needs as it runs on tough trails. I highly appreciate that it’s made of the animal-free materials and processing, also coming with a removable sock liner for more feel as you run. Definitely not comfortable if you want more cushioning, but it works for all minimalist runners out there who are on a budget!
- Comes at a very affordable price for minimalist runners
- It’s made from animal-free products and processing
- Lightweight but with the strong protection for your feet
- It will take time to get used to the feel
- They run in larger sizes, get half a size smaller
5. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Running Shoe – The Quick and Optimized
And of course, we have to include Nike Air Zoom Pegasus, which is known to be one of the best running shoes available today! It definitely accommodates those with flat feet, having the wider toe box and stretchable materials to get the right, snug fit. Furthermore, it has the Zoom Air technology and engineered mesh for extra support and response, having the smooth runs without the risk of injury. However, it’s on the fifth on my list as it isn’t the most cushioned shoe out there, though I love it for its shock absorption. I still feel some hard materials when running on trails, but not much of the pain, just slight discomfort. Other than that, no major problems and I love using this when on the tracks!
- Excellent response and support for smoother runs
- Helps you run faster with lightweight and soft construction
- Original and awesome design
- Not the best on tough trails
- The laces aren’t the best quality
5 Best Women’s Running Shoes for Wide Feet 2019
1. adidas Originals Women’s Superstar Shoes Running – The Cool and Plush
adidas rules the women’s running shoe list, with the Cloudfoam QT Racer Running Shoes being the top of my list! The first thing you think of is how cool it looks, being built for a racer or sprinter. And once you get to try it, it definitely is made for speed running, thanks to its lightweight construction and materials. What sets Adidas apart is its cloudfoam sock liner made of memory foam, which molds to the shape of your foot for extra comfort. Furthermore, it has superior cushioning and feels so plush, adding up to comfort regardless of where I run!
- Extremely soft and can be worn comfortable anywhere
- The size is just right with the wide toe box
- Feels very snug and with memory foam to take shape of your feet
- The top of the shoe incurs dirt easily
- Insides get smelly pretty quickly
2. ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 6 Running-Shoes – The Strong and Light
If you like casual and long distance running, then you’ll appreciate the ASICS Gel-Venture running shoes better. It’s made with the technologies only ASICS has to offer, with the GEL cushioning system and sock liners which can be replaced with medical orthotics. It’s great for those with flat feet and other feet conditions, too! Asides from that, running with it is excellent. I’ve been running for miles and miles at a time, and I rarely feel any discomfort or pain. It also looks built to last because even after using it for long, it still looks and performs as new.
- Extremely durable and made to last, best for long-distance
- Accommodates medical orthotics with a comfortable cushioning system
- It has a very affordable price for those on a budget
- The shoes run too large, best to order a size smaller
- Not as much arch support compared to other shoes
3. Brooks Womens Launch 5 – The Well-Cushioned and Comfy
The Brooks Launch Running Shoe looks as sleep as it performs. It’s a very simple yet effective shoe, offering the response and soft cushioning, as well as excellent support to prevent pain and injuries as you run. It’s really the cushioning system that got me though, is one of the softest I’ve tried even if it doesn’t look the design! My feet have never hurt since wearing this, regardless of runs or for casual use. Plus they’re breathable, so my feet stay fresh and I’m able to use to for hours on end without it feeling so tight.
- Can be used for a long period without discomfort
- Sleek and smooth design with lightweight construction
- Very soft cushioning system and better response to impact and spring
- Comes at a smaller size, need to order one size up
- It takes some time to break in
4. New Balance Women’s Fresh Foam Arishi V1 Running Shoe – The Quick Response and Supportive
If better response and support for running is what you’re after for, then the New Balance Arishi V1 is just right. I highly appreciate the shoes’ simple design coming in various colors, looking cute and like it’s built to last. When running, you don’t feel any pain at all and see that it responds quickly to how you run and hit the ground. There were no blisters, slight injuries, and I was able to enjoy my run, though I can’t say the same if you were to go for long distance ones.
- Lightweight and supportive offers great response and less shock
- Fits like a glove and stays true to size
- Excellent breathable design with various colors to choose from
- Better for sprinting or shirt runs, not long distance
- Not the softest and with less cushioning than others
5. NIKE Women’s Tanjun Running Shoes – The Breathable and Professional
And of course, we have the NIKE Tanjun Running Shoes, which look as cool as it performs! They’re actually one of the most “professional” and athletic shoes I’ve owned, even feeling as if I were an athlete because of its lightweight and quality construction. It’s ideal for any type of run and has the breathable materials, along with the soft cushioning which keeps my feet feeling amazing no matter where I run. It doesn’t feel comfortable despite the long runs and standing too, making it ideal for casual use and exercise. For NIKE, it definitely is worth the long-term investment!
- Very breathable and with good cushioning to use for long periods
- Versatile and stylish, used for casual or other exercises
- Shoe feels and looks professional
- Doesn’t cater to special orthopedic needs
- The soles feel a bit slippery
How to Run Better With Wide Feet
Now that you’re familiar with selecting the best running shoes for wide feet, what are ways to run better? Here are tips to lessen the discomfort of wide feet and improve your runs:
- I highly recommend that you start stretching before and after your runs, which help your feet stretch out and prevent it from incurring any injury. Go for toe curls and stretching your toes, which prevents aches and builds your arches.
- Continue maintaining a good posture as you run for better weight distribution and to equalize the weight put on your feet to prevent injuries and further flattening.
- It’s best to run on the leveled ground rather than uphill or downhill paths, which cause overpronation. Start off slowly rather than add too much reassure which can stress your feet too much.
- To improve your runs and strengthen your feet, it’s best to combine your runs with strengthening exercises twice a week. Bodyweight exercises like calf raise or weightlifting help a lot.
- Always use shoes (besides running) according to your size and width, using shoe horns and stretchers which help with feet comfort.
The FAQ About the Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet
What else do you need to know about wide feet and the selection of running shoes? Here are some of the frequently asked questions to inform you more of it:
1. Can wide feet be remedied?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make your feet smaller or lessen its width. But that doesn’t mean that having wide feet is uncomfortable or worrying, as there are no major problems associated with it. As long as you continue wearing the right-sized shoes, then your feet will be free from any conditions or injuries.
2. Can I use sandals for running or hiking?
While you see sandals for sale that claim to be best for running or hiking, do NOT use it. It’s not the best for those with wide feet or low arches, as it doesn’t offer them enough support. As a result, this can cause injury, as well as discomfort if you run or hike intensely.
3. When do I have to see a doctor for wide feet?
You’re able to live without any issues with wide feet, but there may be problems if ever it’s associated with flat feet. For those who feel mild to major aches around the feet and aren’t able to properly stand and walk, then that’s the time to have it checked by a professional. You may require physical therapy or mediation.
4. Do I need running shoes with all technologies and fancy features?
It’s great to have running shoes with all the frills, though they come at such expensive prices! There’s no huge need for it unless you’re able to afford them. Go back to the “How to Choose the Best Running Shoes For Wide Feet” section to learn more about what you need.
4. Is running with wide feet different from normal-sized feet?
There’s no huge difference besides using different-sized or wider shoes. You still need to maintain a similar posture, pacing and rest when required. Those with wide feet associated with flat feet may be more prone to injuries if not handled carefully.
It’s important to invest in the best running shoes for wide feet to ensure the great fit without the discomfort. It isn’t difficult finding the right shoes for you as long as you took the time to research and test! That way, you’re able to reach your goals in running and enjoy your future runs for a long time.
Of all the different types of men’s running shoes tried and tested, the best one goes to the New Balance 990v4. You’ll love the amazing comfort this provides, as well as the wide toe box to accommodate bigger feet. Plus, it has the technologies to keep your feet breathing and supported!
As for the women’s running shoes, you will love the Adidas Superstar Running Shoes. The best part about it is the trademark design from Adidas, as well as the bright floral yet simplistic patterns! It’s great for all women and still with good comfort for runs and walks.
Hopefully, this article on the best running shoes for wide feet gave you an idea on what you should get! So don’t wait any longer and look into any of these shoes now.
If you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences with any of these shoes, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.